As a result, I thought I would start with a topic that I feel may be basic but very important. I’ve seen this posed plenty of times and have asked the question myself. So here it goes…
What is a Christian?I will admit that I am still learning this as I go. As I grew up my impression of being a Christian was doing good deeds and knowing the difference between right and wrong. As I follow the path that has been laid in front of me, I realize it is not just that. While it should definitely be a result of being a Christian, it is not the definition of being Christian. To me, being a Christian is accepting that God sent his son, Jesus Christ, to us as a sacrifice to atone for our sins. I also believe that you must accept God into your heart and believe that he loves you and wants to have a relationship with you.
I, of course, know it is more than that but that is the basis as I have come to learn. Getting to this point has not been easy. While I did not grow up in a Christian household I always felt there was something more. I have always been a very emotional person which is not the easiest way to deal with life’s events. As a result, I have found that I have carried a lot of anger and confusion directed at God for the situations He has placed me in. I will admit that my life is pretty good right know, but as a child I had it better than many but more difficult than some. I am trying to work through that and trying to understand why God would place me in the dynamic that He did. I realize He has a plan for all of us and everything that has happened has gotten me right where I am today.My path has brought me to this wonderful place; through new friends who have welcomed me and my inquiries and activities that have brought me to an amazing church family. Everyone has been really wonderful in providing guidance and a support system during this journey of the Lord pursuing me. I never discounted the existence of God, but never felt such a strong pull to seek him out either. Not until the last few years. I have always had an internal conflict between what my heart feels and what my brain wants to believe. I now feel that God has been pushing me along the way to realizing the truth. While I will never have all the answers to the questions, I have begun to find a peace within when I leave my issues with God and let him help me with my burdens.
I have not had an easy time getting to where I am and know this is an ongoing process to growing my relationship with Him as is it with any relationship. I am not exactly sure when I decided to go with my heart and let Him take a real hand in my life, but I have begun to relinquish control little by little. I still have questions sometimes but believe this is how I grow in my relationship with the Lord and become a true Christian. So that is my belief on what it is to be a Christian and how I got to where I am. Would anyone like to share their thoughts?
"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth" - Acts 1:8
This is beautiful! Reading it has brought tears to my eyes.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story Sam, how precious and heartwarming.
ReplyDeleteSam, my sister, I love you! Thank you for sharing your story. A lot of people seem to think that Christians think they have all the answers. Not true!!! We still have so many questions, some of which we know will never be answered this side of eternity. But we have The Answer, and the peace of that Answer is enough. (And it helps that God gives us wise, godly friends to help us in our search for the other answers! :-D)
ReplyDeleteSam you said this beautifully! Defining what it means to be aChristian is a process in which we all arrive at the answer at different times. But the most important factor is accepting Christ as our savior..the remainder of our time here is spent growing in our relationship with Christ. We all are shaped by our experiences but they are all for God's glory.
ReplyDeleteWow, Sam. I love you too! I am so impressed at the way that you are openly expressing the depth of your heart for all to experience. What a powerful testimony you have to share! I can tell simply by reading your words how profound an impact the Lord is making on your life. You understand that being a "Christian" is much more than a label. And I totally agree with Thea. There will always be those unanswerable things that we will never be able to know until we are standing in the presence of God -- and I wonder if even then, we'll be allowed to understand. There's a quote by C.S. Lewis that I love which speaks to the true Christian journey and experience: "If you are thinking of becoming a Christian, I warn you you are embarking on something which is going to take the whole of you, brains and all...Anyone who is honestly trying to be a Christian will soon find his intelligence being sharpened: one of the reasons why it needs no special education to be a Christian is that Christianity is an education itself." Your journey will continue from here with some things being answered and some things not...but take heart that the rest of us (Christian believers) are on the same journey with you. Our faith will deepen and our testimonies will grow as we continue to walk with God. I am so thankful that the Lord has brought you to where you are!!
ReplyDelete